System Time: 6:18 29 Aug 2016 - 1 Players Online | Upgrade to Premium
STATUS: Little Kenny did it. - Come chat in #blogshares
Last Updated: 19:05 18 Mar 2007
B$ Help: Claiming Your Blog« Blogs | Help Index | Premium Membership »
To claim your blog, follow this guide, and be sure to note the special sections for specific blog hosts/systems (e.g., MySpace, LiveJournal). If you want to have your blog removed from the game, scroll down to the last section.
CLAIMING A BLOG
To claim your blog you need to display an image button with a link to BlogShares on your blog's homepage. Follow these steps to obtain the code that you need to add to your blog and complete the claim process:
1. Make sure that your blog is in the BlogShares System.
- Use the Quick Search tool on the right side of any page to search for your blog by title, keyword, or full URL.
- If your blog is found, move on to the next section to begin your claim.
- If your blog isn't returned in the search, add it to the system by putting your blog's title and URL in the appropriate boxes and clicking on the Request Site Addition button. Allow time for your blog to be added to the system before continuing the claim process. It may take a day or two.
2. Once your blog is in the system, go to its blogs.php in BlogShares, and click on the "Claim Blog" link on the right-side menu. This link is toward the bottom of the right column.
3. When you click the link, you'll receive a claim code (HTML) in an email message from BlogShares, and you’ll see information similar to what is shown in the following image (where the title and URL are appropriate for your blog):
4. Copy the code from the email message or your Web browser and insert it in your blog code (e.g., in the sidebar, in the footer, and so on). BlogShares rules require that you maintain the claim code visibly on your blog at all times. Place the code provided in a static (permanent) place on your blog. Please be certain to read the full text of the rules.
- See the notes below on where to place the code in specific blog host/systems.
- This code inserts a link and image that is identified by a BlogSharesspider when it parses your blog and, if found, will ratify your claim. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a week, depending on the status of the BlogShares claim spider and other site-related issues.
- There are two possible images that can be displayed:
- (the default)
5. Check back on your blog claim in a few days (allow up to a week) to see if the claim has been processed. Look for these indications:
- Check Your Profile. Your blog will probably be indicated as your Home Page in the profile table. Note that you can change the blog that displays in the Preferences page (see link in the Member's Area on the right side of any site page). A player can view all of his/her claimed blogs by clicking the [Your Blogs] link on the right-side menu in the Members Area.
- Check your Shares portfolio. Once a claim has been identified by BlogShares you will be marked as the blog's owner and will receive the 1000 reserved shares in your blog. You may sell or hold these shares as you choose but regardless of how many shares you have remaining you will be considered to own the blog. The initial shares are considered a reward for making the blog. It's like being the CEO and founder of a company with some shares you can sell to diversify your share portfolio.
PLACING CLAIM CODE ON SPECIFIC BLOG HOSTS/SYSTEMS
BlogShares rules require you to display the claim code visibly on your blog at all times. Many blog hosts and systems limit the ways that a user can post code on the homepage however. Follow these instructions for work-arounds for specific systems:
- MSN Spaces For instructions on placing the claim code on your Spaces blog, please visit this forum thread.
- LiveJournal For instructions on adding the claim code to your LiveJournal blog, please visit this forum thread.
- MySpace For instructions on placing the claim code on your MySpace blog, please visit this forum thread.
- Xanga Edit the “Look & Feel” of your Xanga space. Scroll down to the bottom and paste your claim code in the “Website Stats” section. The claim code isn’t really a website stat information, but Xanga isn’t checking so it works. Save your changes.
- Flickr There’s no way to add the code to the photostream on Flickr. When you add your blog, point to your photostream (e.g., http://www.flickr.com/photos/tengrrl/). Add your claim code to your profile, in the “Describe Me” area. Post in this forum thread to have your blog claim completed. Your claim must be processed manually, so allow time for the task to be completed.
CLAIMING CO-OPERATIVE / TEAM BLOGS
For instructions on claiming co-operative and team blogs, please visit this forum thread.
REPLACING A LOST CLAIM CODE
Changes in blog hosting systems and coding accidents sometimes result in lost claim codes. If you lose your code, you can easily create a new one by replacing the relevant details in the example below:
<a href=http://blogshares.com/blogs.php?blog=URL&user=#####><img src="http://blogshares.com/images/blogshares.jpg" alt="Listed on BlogShares" width="117" height="23"></a>
Where "URL" is your blog URL and "#####" is your userID.
Alternately, if you have any difficulty, you can try this option, which encodes the special characters in the code:
<a href="http://blogshares.com/blogs.php?blog=http%3A%2F%2FURL&user=#####"><img src="http://blogshares.com/images/blogshares.jpg" alt="Listed on BlogShares" width="117" height="23"/></a>
Again, where "URL" is your blog URL and "#####" is your userID. Note that the "http%3A%2F%2F" translates into "http://". If you have additional slashes in your blog URL, replace them with %2F as well.
SUBMITTING AN ALTERNATE URL
Many blogs are listed in the system multiple times. The most common reasons for a blog being listed twice is the 'www' portion of a domain. For example, if your blog address is:
It would be wise to suggest the following as alternate url (assuming that the two addresses do in fact go to the same exact location):
More on Alt-URLs here.
SUBMITTING AN TROUBLESHOOTING REQUEST
If you have difficulty claiming your blog, follow these instructions to get help:
- Wait at least 1 week from placing the claim code on your blog.
- Post a reply in this forum thread, and be sure to include your player ID, Blog URL, and the date you put forward your initial blog claim.
- Be willing to provide any additional information the admins may need to manually process your claim.
To have your blog removed from BlogShares, you must send the request to [email protected] You will need to prove that you are the author/owner of the blog before we remove it. This may include temporarily adding a small text to a specific part of the blog, profile page, or other area worked out between you and the administrators of BlogShares.
« Blogs | Help Index | Browsing/Searching »